An Introduction to Wild Camping
A 2 day introduction to wild camping on the beautiful Isle of Arran. All the camping equipment is provided and we’ll be camping on a minimal campsite with a loo and running water (cold water and no shower). This is a way for you to experience walking with a back pack and all the kit you need, setting up camp, cooking on a small camping stove, and spending a night off grid. We’ll also make time to take in Arran’s natural beauty, recharge our batteries and enjoy being outdoors in one of Scotland’s most beautiful landscapes.
Arran is just a short distance from the central belt yet feels remote and wild. Jagged peaks, towering mountains, secluded glens, waterfalls and gushing rivers. It’s where I go when I need a dose of the mountains but am short on time.
Over the course of this weekend you’ll learn:
- How best to pack and carry a rucksack
- What kit you need and where to get it
- How to set up a tent and where to camp
- What food to bring and how to cook efficiently and safely
- How to leave no trace when camping
- What to consider for hygiene and safety
There are no trips planned at the moment.
On Day 1 we’ll meet at Ardrossan Ferry Terminal so that you can get the kit you will be carrying. After the crossing to Brodick, we’ll walk for an hour to our campsite and set up camp. This is a chance to learn how to pick a good spot for camping, set up a tent if you haven’t done that yet, and learn about other aspects of campcraft.
We’ll then have time for a short walk before dinner. We’ll cook together and this is an opportunity to chat about what food and drink to take of wild camping trips, learn to safely use a stove, and try some lightweight yet tasty camping food. The evening is yours to chill, go for a walk or a swim, or get the cards out!
On Day 2 we’ll have a leisurely start with breakfast and hot drinks (another chance to use the stoves), then pack up and head out for a gentle walk with our rucksacks to get more experience of walking with all the kit. Arran is simply stunning and has so much to offer walkers of all abilities. We can choose from coastal walks, rocky routes, or wooded trails, depending on interests and energy levels.
We’ll have a packed lunch and head for a ferry mid-afternoon to be back in Ardrossan by 5.45pm.
Who is this for
This is for women who have a good level of fitness and enjoy walking outdoors for up to 5 hours.
This is for those who are new to walking with a rucksack weighing around 10kg (22lbs) and/or who are new to camping. The weekend will be tailored to the participants so that everyone can try new things, pick up new skills and tips to allow you to plan your own wild camping trips.
What is included in the ticket price
- All the planning and preparation. Just turn up and enjoy a safe, comfortable, and fun night of camping in incredible surroundings.
- Advice, tips and information about kit, camp craft, nutrition, safety, hygiene, and minimising our impact on the environment. All recapped into one document for you to keep.
- Equipment*: 60L rucksack, lightweight 2-person tent, 3 season sleeping bag, inflatable mat, stove, fuel, bowl, mug, spoon and fork. All high quality and lightweight, suitable for backpacking. (discounts available if you can bring all the required equipment or if you are sharing a tent with a friend).
- Food: hot drinks, nutritious and tasty breakfast and dinner. If you have and dietary requirements please flag this up when booking.
- The cost of the basic campsite.
- Ferry travel to/from the Isle of Arran from Ardrossan.
*If you would like to take responsibility for bringing your own suitable equipment, select the I’m Bringing my Camping Kit option at check out and save £80. (please note this is an all or nothing option i.e. if you choose this option you must have all the equipment listed above)
If you are making a booking for two people and would like to share a tent and stove, select the I’m Sharing With a Friend option at checkout and save £15 each (please be aware that 2 person tents are designed to be shared by 2 people who are a size 12. People with bigger bodies can find sharing a bit tight.).
What you’ll need to bring
You’ll need to bring your personal walking clothing and footwear, lunch and snacks for both days, as well as other personal items:
- Clothes: Walking trousers or leggings, base top, fleece, change of underwear, gloves, hat, change of clothes for sleeping
- Waterproofs: waterproof jacket and waterproof trousers
- Sanitary products: small soap, period products, toothbrush and toothpaste, and medication
- Footwear: comfortable walking boots
- Other: midge net, sunscreen, sunglasses, sunhat, walking pole(s) if you use them
- Water bottle, snacks and lunch for both days
- A mobile phone with a full charge (there are no charging points on the campsite)
Getting there and Timings
We will meet at Ardrossan Ferry Terminal. There is paid parking or it’s accessible by train from Glasgow Central Station.
We will meet at 10am to allow time to kit up before the 11am ferry.
We will be back in Ardrossan by 5.45pm the following day.
- Standard Price: £200.00 (reduced rate*: £150)
- If you would like to take responsibility for bringing your own suitable camping equipment, select the I’m Bringing my Camping Kit option at check out. (please note this is an all or nothing option i.e. if you choose this option you must have all the equipment listed above): £120 (reduced rate*: £80)
- If you are making a booking for two people and would like to share a tent and stove, select the I’m Sharing With a Friend option at checkout and save £15 each on the full price: £185 each (reduced rate*: £138.75 each)
*To make this event more accessible to women currently on lower incomes there is the option to book a reduced rate ticket. You can choose what you pay based on your circumstances- no questions asked. Use the code REDUCED at the Ticket Tailor checkout to get 25% off the full price tickets
To book please pay a non-refundable deposit of £80 or pay in full now. Book here.
If you are paying for the deposit only, the remaining balance is due no later than 6 weeks before the weekend (this can be paid installments if you like) using BACS or Paypal.
For refunds and cancellations please see the full Terms and Conditions https://skylarkguiding.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/
A minimum of four bookings are required for this event to go ahead. You will receive a full refund if it doesn’t.
If you’re unsure if this weekend is for you, or have any questions or concerns, please get in touch: view contact details.